Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Why I Don’t Play Magic Competitively

Dillon asked me to talk about my experience with magic and why I do not play it competitively. I first started playing magic when I was a kid. My father collected some cards and would let me and my siblings play with them. We would make awful decks with no mana curve or focus that had over 100 cards in them. However we still had fun playing the game.

One of my biggest problems with competitive play is that it is just that, competitive. Some of the more flavorful and interesting decks and cards are simply unplayable because they do not stand up the power of the stronger decks and cards.

Competitive play has a different mindset than that of the casual game. In casual play people are there to have a good time, not to get upset over how good someone’s deck is against theirs. Winning and losing are more of a side note to the overall fun and company of getting together and playing. In competitive play the game is all about win or lose so you can move on or go home. Not to say that there is not a social aspect to competitive play, simply that it comes second.

Variety is an interesting part of casual magic. Since there is not as much hanging on how well your deck performs people will often create and try new decks rather than playing their tried and true decks. The truth is playing the same deck repeatedly gets old quickly, and casual play allows players to change things up when they feel like it while not excluding the typical decks.

Casual magic allows for variety both of decks and of play style, and is focused on social fun. Competitive magic is more about brutal efficiency. Neither is bad and both have their merits, I simply prefer casual play.

Noah Osborne
mtgcompetitivemeta@gmail.com
Richardson, TX 75007

No comments:

Post a Comment